EDIT: Big news! WHO is changing its position about face masks. Now, our video and recommendation are both in alignment with the official WHO opinion: https://bit.ly/WHO_masks
EDIT: This video is under Creative Commons license, feel free to share it (please always mention the link to the original YouTube version). Here is the source data of the video for download: https://bit.ly/Masks4All-download
EDIT: We have added a new and urgent message from the Minister of Health of the Czech Republic for other health ministers and governments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtEX2-n2Hc Please, share and help us to save lives around the world.
A KEY ARGUMENT FOR USING HOMEMADE MASKS:
Homemade masks are partly effective in individual protection, but they are essential for slowing the spread of the virus in the population. The main outcome of our studies was that they stop around 95-100% of viruses that people emitting by your breath, sneezing, and coughing. People are the most contagious first days without symptoms, that’s why we need masks for all.
We have successfully tested the hypothesis at two main technical universities and it is highly recommended by a team of experts COVID CZECH under the coordination of the president of Czech Technical University in Prague. The team consists of a virologist, epidemiologist, doctors with specialization in population protection, chemists, and physicist with specialization if filtration. This group is an advisory expert group for the Czech government in Prague. Now it is obligatory to wear masks in the whole country.
Please share and help to spread the key message that can save lives and slow the pandemic.
#Masks4All: “I protect you, you protect me.”
1) Our team of experts: https://masks4all.org/founders
2) The first video “Masks and Critical Thinking “: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8hojsF-nY
3) A list of 33 studies confirming the effect of masks (many thanks to @Jeremy Howard ): http://tiny.cc/maskswork + Jeremy’s amazing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoDwXwZXsDI
4) The whole story of how we changed one country, Czechia, in 3 just days: https://tiny.cc/masks4all
5) Full set of protective recommendations from our expert team to the public: https://bit.ly/COVID-public
– “We conclude that population-wide use of face masks could make an important contribution in delaying an influenza pandemic. Mask use also reduces the reproduction number, possibly even to levels sufficient for containing an influenza outbreak.” Brienen, Nicole CJ, et al. “The effect of mask use on the spread of influenza during a pandemic.” Risk Analysis: An International Journal 30.8 (2010): 1210-1218.”
– “Any type of general mask use is likely to decrease viral exposure and infection risk on a population level, in spite of imperfect fit and imperfect adherence, personal respirators providing most protection.” – van der Sande, M., Teunis, P., & Sabel, R. (2008). Professional and home-made face masks reduce exposure to respiratory infections among the general population. PLoS One, 3(7).
– Effectiveness of masks compared to respirators: Davies, A., Thompson, K. A., Giri, K., Kafatos, G., Walker, J., & Bennett, A. (2013). Testing the efficacy of homemade masks: would they protect in an influenza pandemic?. Disaster medicine and public health preparedness, 7(4), 413-418. PDF: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Katy-Anne_Thompson2/publication/258525804_Testing_the_Efficacy_of_Homemade_Masks_Would_They_Protect_in_an_Influenza_Pandemic/links/53fefd8f0cf21edafd154e85/Testing-the-Efficacy-of-Homemade-Masks-Would-They-Protect-in-an-Influenza-Pandemic.pdf
– “However, during a severe pandemic when use of face masks might be greater, pandemic transmission in households could be reduced.” MacIntyre, C. R., Cauchemez, S., Dwyer, D. E., Seale, H., Cheung, P., Browne, G., … & Ferguson, N. (2009). Face mask use and control of respiratory virus transmission in households. Emerging infectious diseases, 15(2), 233.
Credits (everyone was working for free on this project):
– Authors: Petr Ludwig, Aneta Kernova
– The main actress: Aneta Kernova
– Animations: www.motionhouse.cz
– Camera: Lubomír Krupka
– Sound and postproduction: BeLoud Studios (Bojan Bojic)
– The venue: WeWork Prague
- Likes: 78653
- Dislikes: 2573
- Tags: covid-19,Masks4All,#Masks4All,coronavirus,pandemic
We have an important message for all of you.Especially if you live in a country
that is now facing the new Coronavirus.The pandemic is growing exponentially
in many countries but the Czech Republic
is one of the few in Europe that has significantly slowed
the spread of the virus. In this video we would like to tell you
what we did differently and, mainly, we would like
to help you do the same.We are following social distancing
and “stay at home” rules. But others are doing that too.We also have strict hygiene
procedures.Others are doing that as well.The main difference is that
everyone who has to leave their house has to wear a face mask.Everyone.I know maybe they told you
that masks wouldn't protect you. But there are studies proving that even
a homemade mask can be partially effective.Partially.
Any protection is essential today.But now the more important thing.Masks fundamentally prevent
transmission from you to others by sneezing and coughing,
but also breathing. And many people are most contagious
before they start showing symptoms.So when we both have a face mask,
I protect you, you protect me, and we are both safe.Based on recent data we know
that population-wide use of masks is essential for suppression
of the outbreak. In our professional experience,
a simple homemade mask can prevent up to 100 percent of the spread
of potentially infected micro droplets.The more people use masks, the less the virus is distributed,
and the fewer the individuals exposed. Just a few days ago, people
were laughing at those who wore masks.But some people knew about
this positive effect and started to share
this information across social media. The message grew fast
through artists, influencers, and others.I know,
there are no face masks in stores, right?But something incredible has happened. People have started making homemade masks
and giving them to others for free.Many companies, theatres,
and even retirement homeshave changed their buildings
into sewing rooms.And thousands of people
have started sewing masks at home.So we know that face masks work,and it has been repeatedly
confirmed by scientists. We know that it is possible
in just 3 days to provide face masks for 10 million people in 1 country.And we know that here we have
fundamentally supressed the infection.Please share this knowledge and help us
change as many countries as possible. Take a picture with your face mask on
and share it with the hashtag #Masks4All.It can really save lives. And remember:
I protect you, you protect me.